Penn Hill Group is conducting a search for a proven, results-oriented leader to serve as President and CEO of the Knowledge Alliance and Senior Advisor to Penn Hill Group. This position reports to the Knowledge Alliance Board of Directors and Penn Hill Group leadership.
Knowledge Alliance is a non-profit, non-partisan organization focused on learning and applying what works to dramatically improve K–12 public education. As an association comprised of leading education organizations from across the nation, we advocate for the greater use of research-based knowledge in education policy and practice at the federal, state and local levels. Knowledge Alliance member organizations are dedicated to solving some of the biggest problems facing our schools today through the development and use of high-quality, relevant research, analytics, measurement and technical support.
Knowledge Alliance is seeking a driven and dynamic leader who will be responsible for leading an aggressive advocacy mission aimed at three basic goals:
• Federal policy. Increase support for federal policy aligned with the Alliance’s vision for rigorous and responsive education research, development and evaluation infrastructure and evidence-based policy.
• Organizational leadership. Expand and diversify Knowledge Alliance member organizations to ensure long term sustainability, market development, and national impact.
• Industry leadership. Build national support for the Alliance’s vision for education research, development, evaluation and evidence as a central organizing concept in federal education funding and policy.
The Knowledge Alliance President/CEO works closely with an executive committee made up of members from the board of directors to craft and execute on a work plan based on a new strategic plan. The President/CEO has primary responsibility for leading the Alliance’s advocacy work, managing a membership board with diverse perspectives and building a national presence for the Alliance and its mission. Penn Hill Group provides both policy and administrative support for the President/CEO.
This role offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to deeply examine and influence federal education policy and funding and lead a diverse group of leaders in achieving their organizational goals of strengthening the country’s education system through research, evaluation and technical support for evidence-based practices.
The individual identified for this position will also serve as Senior Advisor to Penn Hill Group, a leading bipartisan consulting and government relations firm focused on helping clients advance federal education and workforce policy. In this role, the individual is responsible for working closely with the leadership team at Penn Hill Group to provide senior-level support for a limited number of clients on education and workforce issues that include strategic advice, writing, research, policy and lobbying.
Key Tasks and Activities
• Government relations. Oversees the implementation of federal government relations plans.
• Planning. Works closely with the leadership team at Penn Hill Group as well as the Knowledge Alliance Executive Committee and Board in developing the strategic direction and annual action plan of the Alliance.
• Implementation. Supervises staff and consultants in implementing the goals of work plans.
• Membership. Maintains strong, positive relationships with current Knowledge Alliance members and recruits new Knowledge Alliance members.
• Convenings. Works with staff and consultants in planning and implementing regular and periodic convenings, including Knowledge Alliance Executive Committee and Board meetings, retreats, policy forums, conference calls and webinars.
• Operations. Collaborates with Penn Hill Group leadership and the Knowledge Alliance Board on Knowledge Alliance organizational functions, including budgeting, auditing, record keeping, personnel and financial management.
• Business development. Develops and implements business development strategies for generating alternative revenue sources to support the Knowledge Alliance.
• Communications. Develops and implements a strategic communications program for promoting the Knowledge Alliance brand, vision, and positions; serves as the primary spokesperson for the Knowledge Alliance.
• Collaboration. Establishes strategic partnerships and collaborative working relationships with key education organizations.
Skills and Knowledge
• Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, facilitation and relationship development and management
• Excellent executive management and organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic action plans
• Proactive, positive approach to implementing plans and problem solving
• Substantial expertise and experience with federal legislative and appropriations processes
• Knowledge of federal education policy, including the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and the Education Sciences Reform Act and programs and priorities that address research and evidence
• Awareness of federal executive agency operations and programs for education and research, particularly funding streams and programs focused on research and evidence
• Ten years of relevant leadership experience in government, education, and/or advocacy preferred
• Experience as Administration/Congressional staff or in federal lobbying a plus
• DC-area-based candidate preferred; ability to access headquarters in Washington DC on relatively short notice
Please send a letter of interest and current resume to KAJobs@pennhillgroup.com by COB on September 10, 2021.